Sunday, 6 May 2012

Duality


Before delving into the theme of the brief that is duality, firstly i found it useful to research what duality actually is.

Oxford Dictionaries define duality as,


Pronunciation:/djuːˈalɪti/

noun (plural dualities)

  • 1 [mass noun] the quality or condition of being dual:this duality of purpose was discernible in the appointments
  • Mathematics the property of two theorems, expressions, etc., of being dual to each other.
  • Physics the quantum-mechanical property of being regardable as both a wave and a particle.
  • 2an instance of opposition or contrast between two concepts or two aspects of something; a dualism:his photographs capitalize on the dualities of light and dark, stillness and movement


Merriem-Webster define duality as,

plural du·al·i·ties
formal : the quality or state of having two parts [noncount the duality of human nature



I began to delve deeper into the subject of duality. More so from a philosphical angle. I found a very insightful journal by Noel Huntley 'The meaning of beyond duality' in which he looks at duality from a philosphical sense. 

" Duality, as the word implies, means two states, two poles, both of which arise from a division of unity."

This extract from the journal really opened my eyes to duality and led me to question although dual implies two, the division of unity I believe could be challenged by a singular subject, with dual meaning and form. the most obvious thing you think of when you think of duality, is two seprate things, which in fairness is in the name however that theory, that perception I believe is there to be challenged. One state, one subject can have dual meaning. I think it will be more powerful using a singlur subject that will convey duality.

This is a brief that is left to your own perception and in this regards there can be no right or wrong, no definition of duality can pigeon hole what it actually is. Duality evokes debate to what it actually means many have their view but the most importat view in regards to this brief is mine my own perception. I myself don't hold the definitive answer more of an opinion, an idea.


http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~noelh/Duality.htm

I then began to look at how photographers/artists have tackled the theme of duality.
Interesting to see the results of a simple Google image search comprised of a mass of cliche, more obvious pieces in my opinion. There wasn't really or I couldn't particularly find a great collection of duality tackled in the arts world.  I certainly feel with this brief it is vastly important to stray away from the obvious, push the creative boundaries if you will.

Here is a collection I found regarding duality.





















No comments:

Post a Comment